Monday, February 7, 2011

Writing builds character

Writing is an unconventional way to learn about any topic, but it can be motivational because a writer must research areas of particular weakness to avoid embarrassment. This is not a new concept. Anyone who has written a term paper should confirm that it works, following any respectable level of diligence.

I recently wrote everything I knew about character development, but found it necessary to verify facts. This learning process is extraordinarily effective as it not only tests my ability to write on the topic but also uncovers some potential misconceptions. It is a process of learning by doing (having the gall to write a book in the first place) and then another process of retracing the steps to evaluate what works and what does not work.

Perhaps more benefit is in the need to expand a topic beyond my own sphere of understanding and/or experience. For example, I must research the topic of character development to present a comprehensive view. It provides an opportunity to fully explore what I know and what I do not know.

My adventure into character development began a few weeks ago when I drafted a new chapter for my book proposal. I went back several times to edit my work, adding necessary transitions but also checking my facts. I am more confident now that most of what I wrote was in good company among far greater practitioners than myself. But, I must also supplement what I know with areas that I do not know to provide a more balanced viewpoint. Again, this is extraordinarily valuable as I discover areas of weakness and then feverishly work to make up for my deficiencies. Now I know the material well enough to pass the test.

No comments:

Post a Comment