Thursday, February 17, 2011

On submissions and revisions

I have officially submitted the additional chapters for the non-fiction book proposal. Waiting is not something that I do particularly well, so I look for other projects to keep my mind busy. Luckily, I am ready to work on Revision 7 of my fiction manuscript.

Writers vary widely in their approach to writing a novel. Some spend years outlining a story while others allow the story to unfold as they are writing. My process is really a little of both. That is, I allow myself a great amount of freedom during the conceptual stages, letting the story develop along with the characters. Then, I create a general outline that helps me to establish a consistent story arc. But, I also allow myself sufficient freedom during the writing process.

The result is a draft story that has a beginning, a middle and an ending, allowing me to see the potential impact of the story and where it needs work. During this initial process, I find it necessary to write some descriptions where I would much rather have dialog or action. It is a reminder to rewrite sections that show rather than tell. In the short term, I am able to continue the flow of the story without interruption, knowing that I must revise the draft.

Each revision is an attempt to insert needed elements, but it is a slow process. The balance between getting the story out versus outlining every detail is a personal preference. I am comfortable with my approach, but it is tailored to my personality. Likewise, other writers must find what works best for them.

When does this process end? It ends when I have done all that I can do to move a story forward. From that point, it either goes to a professional editor or it is submitted to agents depending on my confidence level. The threshold for acceptance is very high in today's market, so a submission should catch and hold the attention of a publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment