Monday, January 31, 2011

Indie film and marketing

I love the movies. However, in recent years, I have more interest in independent film. Yes, I still enjoy the high end magic of Hollywood film making, but I have developed a taste for unique stories and some of the techniques that are now used by indie film makers. I don't think I'm the only one.

Three independent film channels are now available on Comcast (IFC, Sundance and INDIE). In addition, Robert Redford, founder of The Sundance Film Festival, said that 45 films were sold following the 2011 Fest, up from 14 in 2010. He cites a growing public interest in independent film. Redford Relieved This Year's Sundance Is Ending.

For independent film makers, this is good news. Hopefully, this trend will result in an expanded market for independent film makers and many of those who work to support independent film, including songwriters and writers.

Last year, I worked on a short film project. I wanted to explore the possibilities for creating video to help promote writers, aspiring actors and independent music. Again, I don't think I'm alone.

Thousands of people are now creating entertaining videos and posting them online. Justin Bieber launched a successful career from a viral video. Also, video has become a viable marketing tool that also has applications outside of entertainment. For example, I am currently working with a non-profit organization to help produce video that we hope will raise the awareness of PACT, Inc. PACT provides valuable resources to families with disabled children, requiring private donations to supplement diminishing public support.

Video has also become a popular way for writers to promote themselves. Some writers are creating trailers like the previews for movies. These trailers help to raise the awareness for their unsold manuscripts. In short, many new opportunities now exist for self promotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment