Friday, March 25, 2011

Almost Ready for the Big Test

After one year, I’m exhausted yet satisfied that I’ve given my best effort before handing over my fiction manuscript to a professional editor. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve read my work but the number of major revisions now stands at ten.

Looking back, each revision had a very specific focus. I spent hundreds of hours reading books between revisions -- classics, contemporary fiction and non-fiction books about writing -- each time collecting a new perspective that helped me to identify areas for improvement. I found reading to be a comfort at the end of a marathon editing session -- sometimes going back through the manuscript multiple times. At the end of each session, I struggled with the urge to continue my work despite my mental exhaustion. Reading books helped me to focus my mind on something other than my story, allowing time to recharge while considering the wisdom and advice of those who have far greater experience.

Now, I believe I’ve done all that I can do without outside help. I’ll try to rest while my mind paces like an expectant father, knowing the result will only require more work. By that time, I hope to have a fresh perspective and a willingness to accept the broader suggestions of a seasoned professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment